- ‘Meet & Greet’ & drop-off shipside* at Chan May Port or Tien Sa port
- Duration: Approximately 8 hours or longer depending on your time constraints. We always make sure that you return on-time to board the cruise ship.
Da Nang is my hometown and with my team I really love sharing it with passengers visiting central Vietnam often for the first time. Da Nang is some 45km south of Chan May port and is wealthy, fairly modern and rapidly expanding – its THE city where many Vietnamese aspire to live! In this full 8 hour private excursion we look closely at my country’s culture, history & beliefs and will visit at least 6 destinations in and around this thriving city.
We start our day by greeting you shipside at Chan May or Tien Sa port.
* If time & weather permits, travellers coming from Chan May port will have the opportunity to drive past beautiful Lang Co bay and the stunning 21km Hai Van pass – made famous by the BBC’s ‘Top Gear’ programme who described it as; ‘a deserted ribbon of perfection, one of the best coast roads in the world’!
Then we drive along the seafront of Da Nang bay stopping to see fishermen’s wives selling their husband’s fresh catch – see if you can identify every fish on sale! We see coracle shaped boats still in use today.
When the four of us were picked up on time by Xuan Tu from our cruise ship port we could not anticipate what a special day this was going to be. Xuan Tu who speaks perfect English is most delightful, enthusiastic and also her knowledge of her country and city was amazing. Her passion for Vietnam and Da Nang was remarkable– client TripAdvisor review
One of our most sacred places of worship is the 18th century pagoda of Ling Ung on Son Tra peninsular and this is our next destination, Here you will enjoybreathtaking views of Da Nang and its beaches, and you will certainly meet groups of rural Vietnamese visiting the pagoda, and can marvel with them at the gigantic 67m tall ‘Lady Buddha’ statue as she gazes out over the East Sea and Cham Islands in the distance.
We drive onto ‘Million Dollars Road’, passing My Khe Beach voted as one of the ‘top-10’ world beaches by Forbes magazine, to ‘Marble Mountains’. A stunning cluster of 5 limestone & marble hills it is a well known pilgrimage site with peaks, caves, tunnels & temples reached by a short elevator ride. Visiting anywhere in and around Da Nang it is difficult not to see remnants of, or escape discussion of the effects of the Vietnam War – in 1965 the US Marine Corp landed at ‘Red Beach 2’ just north of Da Nang and our International Airport was once the giant US Da Nang airbase. My Khe Beach was an area for R&R. Marble Mountains was not immune to the war’s effects, so remember to ask us about its use during the conflict.
Returning into the city we include a visit to Han Market, which at 28,000m2 offers a great insight into the daily life of ordinary Vietnamese. Feel free to shop here, and at least try the local specialities such as coconut candy or lotus & dried melon seeds. The market is a perfect choice to see local food too – during the day you will be offered either a typical Vietnamese lunch at an excellent local restaurant or snacks along the way if required. This is something we will discuss on our way to Da Nang as we are conscious you will have dinner on-board when you sail!
At sometime during our private tour we cross one or more of the 3 bridges of Da Nang: Han River Bridge, Tran Thi Ly Bridge and the famous Dragon Bridge.
We must eventually say goodbye to my hometown and, at the end of your memorable day, return you safely to port in plenty of time for your ship’s departure.
- ‘Meet & Greet’ at Chan May port or Tien Sa port
- a full 8 hour private guided tour in English
- all entry fees
- cold, bottled mineral water
- moist towelettes
- use of a modern air conditioned vehicle & my professional driver
- any meals & drinks etc taken during the tour (bottled water is free of charge)
How to book a tour:
- Press ‘BOOK NOW’ & complete Contact Form.
- Send to Xuan Tu Private Tours. Xuan Tu will personally check availability and return proposal and cost.
- Is the Proposal/Cost acceptable? Simply let Xuan Tu know and your booking is confirmed